A group of Ekiti State Indigenes under the aegis of Ekiti Youth Movement for Change (EYMC), has strongly called on President Mohammadu Buhari to expressly without delay step down his Minister of Solid Minerals Development and former governor of Ekiti State, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, for trial over his alleged misappropriation of N852.9 million State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) counterpart fund, adding that, any attempt by the president to protect him (Fayemi) from prosecution shall amount to the president committing aiding and abetting.
According to the group, the
misappropriation of N852.9 million State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) counterpart fund by the immediate past All
Progressives Congress (APC) government of Dr Kayode Fayemi has made the Universal Basic Education Board (UBEC) to blacklist the State, making it impossible for the State to access
2013, 2014 and 2015 Matching Grant running to over N2.8 billion.
Speaking on behalf of the group on Monday, its Proteme Secretary, Com. Ajaja Atolagbe described the act as fraudulent and executive looting by conspiracy. He added that no wonder Dr. Fayemi refused to relieve the then SUBEB Chairperson, Professor Mrs Modupe Adelabu of her duty after her appointment as the deputy governor.
“We were all insinuating conspiracy and looting when Prof. Adelabu remained the SUBEB Chairperson even after she was appointed as the deputy governor following the death of Mrs Adunni Olayinka.
“An average Ekiti person queried that why was she holding two powerful posts in a state filled up with brilliant brains, experts and academic giants. But no one answered, not even Fayemi.
“Their hidden agenda had been blown off now. Where is even Prof. Adelabu since after June 21, 2014 guber election? She must have gone into exile for reasons well known to her.
“With all humility, we enjoin President Buhari to start and continue his anti-corruption fight with this case. He should not shield Fayemi from prosecution on this criminal act,” Atolagbe posited.
Meanwhile, last Wednesday, UBEC Deputy Executive Secretary, Dr. Yakubu Gambo told the Senate Committee on Finance’s Budget Defence that Dr Fayemi, who is now the Minister of Solid Minerals used the N852.9 million counterpart funds dedicated for education by the federal government through the UBEC for other purposes.
Reacting, the SUBEB Chairman, Senator Bode Ola said it was painful that Ekiti State and its people were suffering for the sin committed by the APC government of Fayemi, adding that “it is even more embarrassing and ridiculous that Fayemi’s
commissioner for Finance, Dapo Kolawole could defend this clear criminal act perpetrated against
the people of Ekiti State by saying there was no law forbidding States from borrowing counterpart funds to support states capital development operations.”
Senator Ola said; “A sum of N852, 936,713.92 was paid into the SUBEB Access Bank account
on January 14, 2014 as counterpart fund for 2012 UBEC projects and on this premise, UBEC
released its Matching Grant of N852, 936,793.12 on January 3, 2013.
“On October 8, 2014, eight days to the end of Fayemi’s tenure, the same amount of N852, 936,713.92 was transferred from the account of SUBEB, leaving a sum of N9, 139,691.40 as credit balance in the account.
“This was done without the knowledge and approval of UBEC and because of this misappropriation, UBEC blacklisted Ekiti State and this has made it impossible for us to access Matching Grant for 2013, 2014 and 2015.
“UBEC, in a letter dated April 16, 2015, with Reference Number; UBEC/FA/SUBEB/EK/183/
Vol.II/162 described the withdrawal as criminal act that violated Section 11(2) of UBE Act 2004 and conveyed its suspension of Ekiti State from accessing any further FGN-UBE Intervention
“For this reason, all UBEC/SUBEB 2012 ongoing projects have been halted, payment for all 2012
projects cannot be made to contractors, fund for special education; teachers capacity building etc for 2013, 2014 and 2015 cannot be accessed,
infrastructures in our schools are neglected, in fact, SUBEB in Ekiti State is totally grounded!”
Speaking further, the SUBEB Chairman said; “Our Governor, Ayodele Fayose responded to UBEC letter on the illegal withdrawal on April 22, 2015,
stating that the illegal withdrawal was carried out by Fayemi’s administration. He also pleaded
with UBEC to rescind its decision to suspend Ekiti State from accessing FGN-UBE Intervention Fund while allowing him to investigate the matter.
“Consequent upon the Governor’s directive, a 5- Man Panel headed by the Oluyin of Iyin-Ekiti, Oba
Ademola Ajakaiye was set up and the panel established the withdrawal of the N852,
936,713.92 from SUBEB account domiciled at Access Bank, Ado-Ekiti branch consequent upon
which Ekiti State was suspended from accessing FGN-UBE fund and also went further to involve the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in the matter if the fund was not returned.
“Report of the panel has been forwarded to
While describing Fayemi’s justification of the illegal withdrawal as ridiculous, Senator Bode Ola said; “Even UBEC, in its letter said the withdrawal constitutes a serious financial crime and also violates Section 11(2) of the UBE Act, 2004.”